Monday, October 25, 2010

I've got a secret....

Those diet pills that you just paid $40.00 for? They don't work. Even if they do, the results are only short term. As soon as you stop...back up you go. I know from experience.

My personal trainer asked me last week, as I huffed and puffed on the treadmill, how much do I think that I have spent on diet pills trying to lose weight? I didn't have to hesitate. "Probably in the neighborhood of 3 to 4 hundred dollars." He smiled. "How much is your gym membership?" "$20.00" I got the point. I had spent all of that money on pills that made me sick and never produced the results that I wanted. My gym membership was a fraction of what those pills cost and I was already seeing results (and even with my personal training sessions tossed in there, it is still cheaper than many of the diet pills that line the shelves.)

Here is the thing. Many of us who are in the position to need those fat burning, lose 5 pounds a week without dieting pills are people who are battling obesity.  We are chronic overeaters, emotional eaters, or in my case, food addicts. A pill isn't going to magically help us re-learn healthy habits. Popping a pill to speed up metabolisim and increase weightloss is not going to stop me from eating a bag of chips, a package of cookies, the large nachos from Burrito Loco (oh how I miss those nachos).

Losing weight is as much of an mental battle as physical. And those expensive pills? Won't help you develop long term, healthy eating habits.

It takes hard work. A lot of hard work. You have to want this. You have to want to make the changes that are necessary.

Nothing will change, no matter how many diet pills you purchase, unless you are in the mindset to want to change.

I would buy the pills, sold on the claim of being able to lose weight fast. But I never wanted to change. Or I wasn't ready to.

Once you are ready. Really ready. You will start to see a change. You will start to see the changes that you desire.

If you want it...you are going to have to work for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment