Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Most Unlikely Thing

Ask anyone who knows me to describe me. I can almost promise that one word that would never be on their list is runner. It just isn't me. The last time I ran? Highschool. Twelve years ago.

Running has never been on my list of things I wanted to do. At my heaviest I would rather walk in the pouring rain from the car to the store then run. Most of the time, Steve would be in the store before I even reached the door. I was fat. I was uncomfortable. My "fat" rule about running: Don't run unless you are being chased. And even then I would still be an easy target. I don't run. That isn't me. Or atleast, it wasn't who I was.

Now? I am slowly becoming a runner. I have decided to run a 1/2 marathon in May. A full marathon in October and every 5 and 10k I can get into between then. I ran today. And while it wasn't for very long, I still did it. I still ran. And you wanna know a secret? I liked it.

When I think about who I am now versus who I was then, the transformation is amazing. Running is something I would never do in the past. And now, I find myself devouring all the information I can find on running.

Whether I morph into a "hardcore" runner or not, remains to be seen.

But for now, I will enjoying being one of the most unlikely things...a runner.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment