Saturday, September 11, 2010

About That Marathon

I am running the Chicago Marathon. Not this year, but next year...2011. I am sure that some people may be wondering why I am waiting until next year instead of just doing it this year.

Well, I am waiting for a couple of reasons. The first is the most obvious reason: I am nowhere near physically ready. A marathon is a huge undertaking, especially for someone who hasn't been extremely active for some time.

I also want to find a sponsor. I was pleased to discover that local (and some national) charities and businesses sponsor Marathon Runners. I would love to run backed by one of my favorite organizations, Children's Memorial Hospital.

The third is probably the most raw of reasons...I am scared. I am scared that I won't be able to complete it, and I will just be laughed at. I am scared that I will fail, again, at something that I really wanted to succeed at.

Fear is a funny thing. Fear could be a perfectly good reason to just throw in the towel and say "That's it" But here is the thing, for every person that is sitting there supporting me (and trust me there is alot, I get emails daily from my RSS feed readers), there are people that are waiting for me to fail. They want nothing more then to watch me fall flat on my face. And that is not an option.

My fear drives me. My fear is what makes me want to be a better person.

Plus, there are 5 reasons in this house right now for me to not give up...My husband and my kids.

I am doing this in spite of the people that think I can't. I am doing this for my husband and kids...

And ultimately, I am doing this for ME.

So, about that Marathon? It's still on.

And training begins tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment