Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Follow your heart

This really isn't a fitness post, per say, but it's relevant none the less and I wanted to share it with you all.

I lead a fairly private life outside of my fitness journey online. I can count on one hand the number of people that know the details of what's happened in my family over the last 12 months. And, honestly, I prefer it that way. Because all of that isn't who I am, it doesn't define me. And when people think about me or hear my name, I don't want them to associate it with things that have happened. And let's be honest, I am a mom. Someday, my children will read what I put online. And it's my job to protect them. So, I lead a pretty private life.

For the last month, I've been dealing with this feeling that my life is unfullfilled. Yes, I have 4 amazing children, I have a growing fitness business, and a husband, and those things mean the world to me. But,I want more. I have this thirst that I haven't been able to quench. There's been this tug in my heart to do something different. Something more. And I have been ignoring it. I have a lot on my plate as a mother and wife. Not to mention everything that comes with building a business. The last thing that I wanted to do was add to my plate. But, no matter how hard I tried, that tug wouldn't lessen. In fact, even as I prepared to launch Melissa Austin Fitness, that tug became harder. More pronounced. I still brushed it off. I told myself "You are launching your fitness business. You have a million and one things that need to be dealt with. You don't have time to follow this tug." Things in my life have been extremely hard. And I have prayed about the issues lying on my mind. I asked for a sign. Something. Something to tell me that I was on the right path, and that things would get better.

Anything.


Today, the tug was hard to ignore. I started thinking that maybe, just maybe this was the sign that I was looking for. So, I decided to pay attention to the tug. I took out my pen and paper and mapped out, over four pages, what it was I wanted to do. I looked up the domain name I had decided on for this project. And, it was available. The ideas continued to flow. I was excited. And for the first time in a few days, I was smiling. If that wasn't the sign I was looking for....

So, yes, I am adding a little bit more to an already crowded plate. I am going to be removing things from my plate--and my life--that don't serve me. Things that bring me more pain then pleasure. I have a clear goal of what I want. And where I am going.

Of course, my Fitness Business will always be here. It's what I love. And I plan to continue to grow it as I work on this new project. In fact, they will work pretty well together.

Follow your heart. Even if it means letting somethings in your life go. Pay attention to how you feel. And always remember that it's okay to change course. Do what makes you happy.

Always Choose Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment