Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's all Greek to me...

When it comes to losing weight and eating better, I am learning. A lot. I have had pretty poor eating habits for most of my adult life. So, it is kinda like teaching an old dog new tricks.

I don't like change. So, it should be no suprise that the first time I heard to put greek yogurt in my chicken salad in place of mayo, I balked. Yogurt? Are you kidding me??

But, eventually, I did give in. I decided that there had to be something to all the "use yogurt, not mayo" claims I was seeing.

You want to know a secret? It is really good.

Now, I don't like plain yogurt, greek or not. It is too bitter. So I was really hesitant to slather my chicken with the stuff. But, the little voice in my head that said "this whole resisting change thing? This is why you are F.A.T"

I poached a chicken breast with some lemon zest and a bay leaf. It take about 10 minutes. Once it was done, I waited for it to cool enough to handle and shredded it with my fingers. I added some toasted pecans, purple grapes halved, celery, and about 1/2 c of plain, low fat Greek yougurt. You can as much as you want, depending on how moist you like your chicken salad. Then pop it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight to cool.

I also did this with my tuna salad. Use salt free tuna in water (I used two cans so I had enough for leftovers). Add as much (about 1/2 cup) of greek yogurt. Now, I am weird. I diced some onion and olives and added that. Add just a couple packets of Sugar in the Raw and pop it in the fridge. When you are ready to eat, measure out about a cup onto a fresh romanie leaf, serve with some pita chips (Garden of Eatin are just awsome)  and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment