Thursday, August 19, 2010

For the love of Pete!

Yesterday was grocery day. I stocked my fridge with all sorts of yummy healthy things. Fruits and veggies. Organic milk and yogurt. Snacks that are actually GOOD for me.

One of my goals for myself is to start eating organic as much as possible. I am following the Master Your Metabolisim plan from Jillian Michales and part of the plan is to remove as much of the toxic food items from your diet as possible.

While perusing the aisles of Wal-mart, I realized that two of things on my list were no where to be found. Almond butter and Quinoa. After asking a sales associate, who never heard of the things, I realized that I was going to have to go to a "real" grocery store...Read: more expensive.

After depositing the kids at home with my husband I trekked to the local grocery store. I seriously felt like a kid in a candy store when I hit the organic/health/gluten free section. 7 different kinds of hummus dip, Pita chips in 3 flavors, Steel cut oats (which I needed) and there! Sitting right next to it was Quinoa (which I now know is a type of oatmeal/oat/cereal).

I was happy. I was going to bake it into a "crunch" and top my greek yogurt with it in the morning. Then I saw the price. $14.00! For a small bag of what is essentially an oatmeal...no wonder people opt for Mcdonalds.

I did find my almond butter...for $10.00. But I bought it anyways. Let me tell you. That is the best peanut butter I have ever eaten. So worth the $10.00.

Maybe more people would eat healthier if it was affordable. :/

Anyways, day one of my new eating plan is going great. I have stuck to it for the most part, and haven't had any hunger issues.

Maybe this will work after all!

1 comment:

  1. I know that the Wal-Mart where I shop carries both of these things! You may want to ask someone else, but I get almost everything now at Wal-Mart except some ingredients for Indian food.

    ReplyDelete