Thursday, July 15, 2010

Homemade (Healthy) Sloppy Joes

When you think of the term "sloppy joes" I am sure that the last thing you think of is them being healthy, especially if you use the canned version.

With just 20 minutes of your time, a few fresh ingredients, you can have homemade, healthy sloppy joes.

Ingredients
1 pd ground beef
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 chopped pepper ( I used red, you can use green or any other color that you like)
14oz can crushed tomatoes (I had fresh diced tomatoes, that i crushed with a spoon)
6oz tomato paste
salt,pepper, garlic powder, any other seasonings you like
*I added a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and a few pinches of brown sugar*
Hamburger buns

What to do:
1.)Start the onions in a little bit of oil, about 1 tbs, in a skillet. Cook them until they start to sweat.
2.)Add the ground beef and peppers.
3.)By the time you are done browning the ground beef, the onions should be translucent
4.)Drain the fat and add the tomato and tomatoe paste.
5.)Season to taste. I used salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and parsely
6.) Simmer uncovered for 10 mins and serve

*To make this dish even healthier, sub ground beef for ground turkey. My husband is not a fan of ground turkey, so I used the leanest ground beef I could find 93/7*

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment