Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Me Vs. The Squat Rack

I rarely venture over into the free weight area for anything other than a set of dumbells. Then, I normally take my weights over to an empty corner and do my workout. Away from the guys who are lifting. I don't want to be in their way. But, more than that, I don't want to humiliate myself. But lately, I have been coming out of my shell a little bit. I simply stopped caring what these guys thought. Last week, I started using the leg press. I started using the plates for other workouts.

Today, I ventured into unfamilar territory. Today was leg and calves day. And one of my workouts was the wide squat with the barbell. I didn't want to do it. Heck, I didn't even know if I knew how to use the squat rack. But, today, I decided I was going to figure it out.

And figure it out, I did. I can squat 75 inside that rack. And it's the most liberating feeling ever. Of course, I hurt my wrist and the back of my neck is jacked up a bit, (my form could have been better I am sure) but it was totally worth it.

Moral of the story? Never be afraid to try something new. You never know if you might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment