Thursday, June 21, 2012

I'm Considering Doing Something I've Never Done Before

I had an interesting conversation the other day with some friends. One of the friends is a Bikini Figure Competitor. She recently started competing after struggling with her weight for years. I am super proud of her accomplishments and of her drive to succeed. I made the comment that I never could do anything like that. She asked me why I thought that. I told her honestly, I doubt I could ever stick to a training schedule that strict. She told me that the training was intense, but that wasn't a good excuse for not doing it. I told her I don't think I had the confidence to strut across a stage like that. Her retort? "Well, if you work that hard, you are going to want to show it off. So next excuse." I fired off a few more excuses, she had a few more comebacks. I began to see where this was going. And I wasn't sure I liked it.

The conversation eventually ended when she had to go and run some errands. I was confident that I had heard the end of it.


And I did. Until that night....


I got an email with a link to a website from my friend. "Check it out." She's forever sending me silly stuff, so I clicked on it. Only to be faced with a list of competitions in 2013. I fired back an email "What the hell is this?" She emailed me back, and it was that email that got the wheels in my head turning.

There are three events, 10-15 months out, back in Illinois. Two in Bolingbrook and A big one in Chicago. Sure there are events that are closer to me, but her she thinks I should do the events back in IL. Why? Because that's were I am from. That's were my weight loss journey started. There would be no better feeling then walking across that stage, in front of my friends and naysayers alike, and do this.

The one in Chicago is in September. That would give me about 15 months to get in shape and get competition ready. A huge feat. One that's very overwhelming. I never dreamed of wanting to compete in a competition like that. But now, the seeds been planted. And I am wondering if I should do it. Not because I expect to win or even place. But because it prove something. It would prove something to me. It would prove that I am truly capable of doing anything I put my mind to.

So, I am going to make my decision by Monday.

But, I am pretty sure I know what I am going to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment